I thought I would do a tag today – I have seen this tag floating around and thought that it looked like fun!
- What is your favorite Christmas film? Eek! Just one – then it has to be Home Alone! Such a classic and what is Christmas without the Wet Bandits – I ask you?
- Have you ever had a White Christmas? I’ve almost always had a white Christmas and it crushes me when we don’t get one in Minnesota. It causes me a lot of anxiety too when it doesn’t snow and I want to pop anyone who still thinks the global climate change isn’t really a thing. I remember waste deep snow every year when I was a kid and now we are lucky to have a foot on the ground. It makes me sad to think that kids may not have amazing sledding hills and the opportunity to build forts like we did 😦
- Where do you usually spend your holiday? It depends on if I am crazy enough to travel home or not to Colorado. I don’t enjoy going home; there has been too much growth in my little town. Usually I just stay in Minnesota.
- What is your favorite Christmas song? The Charlie Brown Christmas theme song – does that count?
- Do you open any presents on Christmas Eve? Not unless that is the only time I spend with family – I like the thrill of Christmas morning too much!
- Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? There’s Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen, Donner, Cupid, Comet and Blitzen…I think that is in a song and the only reason that I remember it 😀 Oh, and Rudolph but that is all I got.
- What holiday traditions are you looking forward to most this year? Stocking stuffing, cinnamon rolls, shopping…I don’t have any amazing traditions!
- Is your Christmas tree real or fake? Fake *le sigh* but that is only because we live in an apartment and real ones are prohibited. Funny story, I remember when I was 12 or so we had a tree sitting on our porch as we were letting the branches flatten and letting any needles and sap fall before we brought it inside. We woke up the next morning and someone had stolen our tree! I grew up pretty damn poor and we got another tree but it was all bare and ugly, I learned a hard lesson that year – people suck and will steal your Christmas tree. In hindsight, that story wasn’t funny at all 😀
- What is your all-time favorite holiday food/sweet treat? This really disgusting, chalk full of sugar, marshmallow salad my mom always made – how 70’s. You get about 2 bags of mini marshmallows, enough whipped cream to drown in, canned pineapple, maraschino cherries, walnuts and mandarin oranges. She served it in a giant, hideous bowl and it all had to be eaten that day because the acids in the fruits would eat the marshmallows and you’d get marshmallow sludge. It is my favourite Christmas treat but I literally can only stomach it once a year.
- Be honest: do you like giving gifts or receiving gifts better? Giving! Nothing is more satisfying than knowing that you are giving someone a perfect gift and waiting for them to open it. I’ve gifted some duds, to be sure but I’ve gotten pretty good at picking fabulous gifts.
- What is the best Christmas gift you’ve ever received? We always got shitty gifts, when you have 7 kids it just happens. I don’t feel bad about saying that either, as kids we always hammed it up but man, we got some shitty gifts. I think my favourite gift is my stocking, it is handmade and has my name in scrolly gold embroidery on it and it is 30 years old! It was never filled with great stuff but my parents always tried.
- What would be your dream place to visit for the holiday season? New York, Christmas in New York – it just has a ring to it. New Yorkers can keep it the rest of the year but I’d like to see it all dazzled up and blanketed in snow.
- Are you a pro-present wrapper, or do you fail miserably? Pro – hands down, not ashamed of bragging. Half the fun is the wrapping!
- Most memorable Holiday moment? One year we got a legit Toboggan from our grandparents, we were pro sledders but this baby was way out of our league. A Toboggan is a wooden sled on these thin, metal rails and you are sitting 6-8 inches off the ground. We had carved out our sledding path weeks ago with our plastic sleds, we would get the hose out and ice bits so that you could gain enough speed to keep going on the flatter terrain (telling you, straight pros). So we bust out this Toboggan and it hit that ice and it was over – I put my bottom teeth through my top lip, my top teeth through my gums, bloody nose, 2 black eyes, the whole nine. We lived about 40 minutes up a mountain and at least 2 hours from the nearest emergency room that was open, longest car ride ever trying not get blood all over the back seat. I learned that gushing blood was not just hyperbole that day. Cracking up right now, I don’t even know why I like Christmas! Kudos to that cosmetic surgeon, can’t even tell 😀
- What made you realize the truth about Santa? My parents never played up the whole Santa thing; I don’t think I ever thought he existed. I think it is so magical that kids actually believe in him. My mother was also maniacally religious and things like Santa and the Easter Bunny detracted from the religious overtone in her opinion. I cannot even enjoy a chocolate egg without feeling like a complete hedonist.
- Do you make New Year’s resolutions? Do you stick to them? I don’t make them, if you want to make a change then why wait? I tend to skip past New Year’s as I want to get right to my birthday anyway – those mini champagnes though 😀
- What makes the holidays special for you? I cannot pinpoint any one thing that makes my holidays special – it is the way the air feels, finding peace in chaos, the collective sense of humanity, the giving…It is just everything. I learned a long time ago that it isn’t about gifts, while they are fun to give and get there is truly a deeper meaning. Even when someone goes and steals your Christmas tree, it is impossible to lose your faith in humanity 😀
Haha! That is it, I hope it wasn’t depressing 😀 I’d love to read other responses – if you decide to do this one then link me!
Thanks for stopping by ❤